Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Septic shock newsletter Vermont

Part II

The Good News continues. Sharon is no longer on any intravenous medications, and she no longer requires any supplemental oxygen. In fact, there is even talk of her going home tomorrow, but we are not holding our breaths yet! She had a shower earlier, which she was able to handle by herself, and she is walking independently—though slowly—around her room, showing more strength and stamina than she did yesterday. Everyday another body system seems to come back online, allowing her to dispense with a tube or monitoring system.  She said that the shower reminded her that a physical body can be a source of pleasure particularly if you add warm water.

Natalya and I came into visit Sharon this morning, and I am back this afternoon, while Natalya is studying. Natalya has been taking care of all of the animals at home and many other household chores.

News flash! Dr. Rousse, the hospitalist taking care of Sharon today, just stopped by to chat. All systems look good, and he plans to discharge her tomorrow morning, assuming no setbacks overnight. Sharon’s platelet count is now normal, her lungs sound good, and her albumin—a major protein in the blood stream that reflects liver function and nutrition—is up to 2.6 from 1.9 yesterday.  Her white blood count went up a bit today, but there are no longer any “bands,” a kind of white blood cell signifying acute infection. Sharon has less pain today and less edema in her legs, feet, and abdomen.

Sharon keeps editing my words of enthusiasm, commenting that although her edema is better she will continue to take some diuretics over the next week or two.  She says that she feels a bit like a “tide pool” or estuary, and that has been at high tide for awhile.  In fact, while we are cheering how good she looks, she notes that she feels more bloated than she when she was 9 months pregnant and that she feels decidedly bovine.  Yes, she is thankful that her pain is diminished, but she has spent the last 7 days with at least a couple of major events involving what felt like a Mac Truck driving over her, some howling, and a lot of morphine. She experienced the first few days semi-consciously and, therefore, finds such optimism an act of great faith.

All your offers of support and encouragement are greatly appreciated. She does want to note that the number of people who say they have also had kidney stones suggests that someone needs to do an epidemiological study.

That’s it for now. Hopefully, the next update will be issued from home rather than the hospital.

Gib (with commentary by Sharon)

Feel free to comment on the blog site and Sharon will get the comments or via email.

This is the picture we put on the wall of Sharon's hospital room



citizen said...

Gosh, what a nightmare. How about Morgan? I'm sure he has been keeping in touch. So glad that you made it through. It's a horrible experience as it is.

I'm sure it will be great to be home -- it's possible some of your flowers will be in "almost" bloom!

Best, Julie

Hassan said...

This sounds like a good flash news, Glad you are doing well and making to home after such terrible and an uneasy days.

Be well